Tuesday, June 5, 2012

True blue baby I love you!

Haha. There goes my plan to start blogging religiously. Anyway, it's never to late to start :) 

The story starts here. My sister is 31 weeks pregnant and she's ready to pop out the little baby in about 6-8 weeks. And she's planning to stay in Shah Alam with us while going through her 'berpantang' or her confinement period which will last around 40 days or so. The whole family is really pumped about her moving back in and taking care of the baby with us. But the thing is, I took her old bedroom when she moved out with her husband. And my old bedroom is on the 2nd floor of the house so it'll be hard for her to take the stairs all the way up. So we decided that she will stay on the 1st floor near to my mom's room. BUT she will be taking my bed, a queen size MALM Ikea bed which I lovee. 

So now, I HAVE to buy a new bed since mine will be with my sister. Hahaha. So I started looking out for beds that will suit me. And since I'm changing the bed, might as well change the outlook of the room too :) So here are the things that I think it's pretty fun to share.

First thing that you must do before you start decorating is to think of the style of the room. And you must make sure that the room's style suits you, your personality and your lifestyle. My current room was my sister's old room so it is very her. Simple and Beige. Type of styles are like modern, classic, tropical, minimalist, rustic chic, contemporary and there's more but I can't think of any right now. Find out what's your lifestyle like. Do you read alot of books? If you do, you might need a reading area with standing lamp/bedside lamp and maybe a lazy chair or beanbag. Do you do a lot of work at home? You might need a study table or book shelves. Do you have a lot of clothes? Then you can determine the size of cabinets that you might need. Then you can pick your furnitures based on the styles that you choose. 

A minimalist bedroom. Free of clutter and clean cut furniture. Minimalism is not for everyone but I bet it'd be pretty zen sleeping here. (Source : Here ) 

A classical bedroom. Though this is quite rustic classic and it feels nice. There are some classic bedroom that looks so gaudy it hurts my eyes. (Source : Here )

 Room full of books. I love this. Just afraid if it will fall on top of me while i'm sleeping. (Source : Here)
This too! Such amazing colours. I love the burst of colours. But it looks a tad messy right? (Source : Here)

Then, the second thing is to think about the colour. My current room is Beige because my sister picked the colour. And I don't like beige that much. It's too colourless and too bright for me. But for the time being, I'm fine with it. And the room has this pretty gold wallpaper that my sister and her husband personally installed in the room so I will leave the wall paper as it is. So for me, I would want to choose a colour that can suit the gold wallpaper and the dark walnut built-in cabinets in the room. Since lately I've been into Blue colour, I was thinking of painting it Blue. I first go the inspiration when I saw Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City's bedroom in SATC the Movie. The room she decorated after Mr Big cancelled the wedding. 

  Carrie's Bedroom (Source : Here )

Since then, I always wanted a Blue bedroom. I've painted my room red and purple so both colours are out of the list. And the colour in Carrie's bedroom is perfect. But for my bedroom I'd want something on the greenish side of blue. Just to suit with the dark cabinets and the gold wallpapers. But I'd love the whole look of Carrie's bedroom. With the white skirting, white furnishes and the random photo frames. Maybe I'll do something like that. Putting random frames and random photos/postcards I took during my travels. And a plus point, blue is very calming. I kid you not. It helps to have a calming environment in your bedroom because that's the most important place for someone to unwind after a long day at work. 

After choosing the colour, you can choose the bed. Based on the style you have picked, now find the perfect bed! I think for me I like bold colours for my room so the best colour for my bed would be dark colours. If you have a light coloured bed, you can match them with white furnitures and get a more pastel-ish hue for your room. But lighter colours are harder to maintain because beds are not something you would buy frequently as normally you'd use the bed for 5years plus. So, it'll be better to get something that is easier to maintain. No fuss. 

Look so comfy!
(Source : Here )

In the end, you just gotta let your imagination go free and create the best space for no one but yourself. And make sure that you can fit all your knick knacks in your room. Oh and put a lot of your personality out there in your room. Be proud to put your favourite bantal busuk or teddy on your bed, put up your favourite pictures or painting or 'Legolas' poster, ANYTHING! Its your room and no one can tell you no :) 

How fun will this be! 


No comments:

Post a Comment