Sunday, October 7, 2012

Copenhagenization

Back in May, I went for a two week trip to Copenhagen, Denmark and London. I've been to London quite a number of times so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect in London. But for Copenhagen, I wasn't too sure of what's there. Before coming there, the only thing I knew about Copenhagen are they have great Scandinavian designers, especially Bjarke Ingels and all his quirky buildings, Hans Christian Andersen, the Danish author who wrote 'The Little Mermaid' and 'The Ugly Duckling' and they are among the Happiest Cities and Greenest Cities in the world! Tu je. 

And before going, I wanted to experience a different kind of travelling. I went with my mom but she was busy with all the meetings she had to attend to in Copenhagen so I get to explore the city all alone and I was so excited with that idea. So I want to try travelling where I don't know what to find there but I will let myself explore by myself what's there for me to see. So, I avoided reading anything on Copenhagen prior to the trip.

The stories of my exploration will come someday but I want to write about the best thing I found there. It's called Copenhagenization. 

Look at the amount of bikes!

Copenhagenization is a strategy that urban planners use to promote a bicycle friendly city. They call it 'Copenhagenization' for them to promote the strategy in other countries like London, Melbourne and a few others that I can't remember. Copenhagen is a very very very bicycle friendly city. I swear they don't use cars. They ferry their children in bicycle with a trolley in front, called a Christiania Bike. It was created in Christiania, a free town in Copenhagen. Almost 90% of the population in Copenhagen cycles to work/school/malls. They cycle in suits, skirts and even heels! It's crazy, I was so impressed. And I cycled the whole time I was there. I always wanted to cycle in Malaysia but the heat and safety is a big issue to me. 

They still have to stop at traffic lights like other cars.

He's taking his kids in front of the bike.

The Christiania Bikes


In Copenhagen, they have two extra lanes on the road. They have normal car lanes like we do, most of the car lanes are unused. The other two lanes are for bicycles and another is for pedestrians. They will NEVER use the walking lanes for bikes or vice versa. They will follow the rules and abide the laws all the time. Crazy I tell you. And mind you, I was cycling around with no real plan or itinerary, so imagine how hard it was for me to find my way and adjusting myself with the culture of riding and cycling in the right lane. Kalau kat Malaysia, we'd just hentam which ever lane we can. But somehow, the whole time I was cycling there I felt safe. There's not a moment that I think a car might hit me. 


Imagine, I walked the opposite direction when I was walking on the pedestrian lane once. A Danish guy actually stopped me and said this is the wrong direction and asked me to cross the road and use the right direction. I was like, huh, whaaaaat?? But ok lah. I crossed the road. See, they are THAT particular about their rules. 

Oh, they provided rentable bikes called the City Bike all over the city. They would just provide the bikes anywhere in the city. Seriously, randomest places in the city. You just walk about 2 minutes and you can find another bike parking where you can just take the rented bikes. The rented bikes come with a map. So, when I was using the bikes, I refer to the map to take me to the museums and library. It's really easy. The concept of renting the city bikes are like how you take the trolleys at Giant. You have to put in 20 Danish Krone - it's a coin  (About MYR11) and you just pull the chains off. And when you want to return it, you can just return it anywhere that you can find the chain and lock and insert it to get your 20 Krone again. That simple! I was happy to find that London have provided such services too. Tapi lagi canggih but leceh where you can pay using your credit card. But the bike lanes in London are terrible. Even cars were using their lanes. Facepalm. 

Take a Bike. Slot in your 20 Krone. And pull the chains away!

Ride em!

The small map in front of the City Bike.

Anyway, I really do want the culture of cycling to be developed in Malaysia. We can really reduce the volume of cars going into KL and help to make Malaysia more environmental friendly. I know its hard. I know it seems impossible. But imagine how wonderful it will be if you can cycle to work. All the work outs you get cycling (it was really hard for me to find fat people in Copenhagen) is a plus point. Reducing the carbon footprint and using less energy. I want that for my country. 

 Travelling Solo!

No comments:

Post a Comment