Saturday, October 6, 2012

Why I love Music

I've been feeling pretty emotional this couple of days. Firstly, because I'm super swamped with my new job. In a couple of weeks, there'll be a launching of the project I'm working on. So, been really pushing and absorbing and immersing myself in this new culture at the office. But more on that later. 

Today I feel like writing. I feel like talking about memories. I'm just so tired of work that writing about these memories feels nice. Good and bad memories. The title of this post is why i love music. Certain songs evoke memories that are so fresh in my head, even if I think about the situation or location or feeling I was going through at that particular moment in time, I can smile or laugh or cry. Depends on the memory.

I just want to share a couple of songs that spark all those memories in me. I have a few. Some are great memories. Some are just normal memories. But all of them means something to me.

1. Life - Des'ree


This is not even my favourite song. Haha. But it has a fun story behind it. My sister, Aida studied in a boarding school in Raub when she was in high school. So every week, the family would go to Raub to visit/send her back/fetch her from her school. And somehow, every week, we will always hear this song on Lite FM (Light n Easy FM, back then). And my sister would change the lyrics to : 
Ngah, oh Ngah , oh Ngah , oh Ngah ,
doo, doot doot dooo.
Instead of Life, oh Life. Ngah, because she calls me Angah. And everytime we drove back from Raub without her, I would cry and cry listening to this song. Haha. Lame kan??? But this is why i love this 

2. 'World' and 'Don't Forget to Remember Me' - Bee Gees 

World - Bee Gees

Don't Forget to Remember Me - Bee Gees

Ahhh, Bee Gees. This is my childhood. I didn't grew up listening to Backstreet Boys/Spice Girls/Michael Jackson sangat. I think I skipped the 90's in my musical knowledge. But I grew up listening to Bee Gees, Air Supply, UB40, Cat Stevens, John Denver and all. Basically all oldies. But oh glorious glorious oldies! My baba bought me and my sister a karaoke tape of Bee Gees. So, we'd sing everyday to Bee Gees (The video I watched when I was young is exactly the same one I posted above). 

I love love love Bee Gees. People always think that the Bee Gees are famous for their 'Saturday Night Fever' era. But i prefer their songs before the disco era. Both the songs above are from 1960's i think. Bee Gees would always remind me of my Ba. I'd remember how it feels like to be young and vulnerable. And how Ba is always there to take care of me when I was young. Plus, I think Robin Gibbs have the same watch as my Ba did in the 80's and Ba looks like Robin Gibbs :)  

3. 'Soul Meets Body' - Death Cab for Cutie 


This song reminds me about one of the best times in my life. It was after SPM. After my national service stint in Bentong, I came back to KL. All fat and dark. Haha. Around the same time, my Ba suffered a really horrible stroke attack that affects him until today. 

During that time, I was at the hospital 24/7 taking care of ba. And I did that with the help of a few friends. I couldn't drive yet, so I had to ask Asyraf / Kavy / Afi to drive me around, haha. And they helped me a lot a lot and they would keep me company just to make sure I would not fall into depression or just be sad. It was great because I know these are the people that would be around during good and bad times :) This song reminds me of that period somehow because I'd listen to it all the time and just remind myself that I have to be strong for my family and it's not so bad when you have good people around you. 

4. 'Slow Dancing in a Burning Room' - John Mayer


I begin my love affair with John Mayer about 8 years ago, thanks to my ex. Among all great John Mayer songs, this is my number one. This is the song I will listen to when I'm upset, tired, happy, pissed off or just need a break. The lyrics are my goodness, amazing. Especially the Webster Hall - Live version. He sang a bit of Thom Yorke's The Eraser. Super. And I respect anyone who can jam on the guitar like Mayer does. If this song is a man, I'd marry him already.

5. 'Sam's Town' - The Killers


Okay, around the same time I started listening to JM, I was very into The Killers too. I was Ms Brightside on my profile page in Friendster ;p Haha. Good times. They were very Indie Brit Rock back then, and me being my pseudo Brit inner self lovessss it. And The Killers stuck with me through out my pre-adult life. Up to now. They remind me of a wilder, freer side of me. Well, especially now.

I think working life is very monotonous and restrictive. Yes, I know someday Peter Pan gotta fly out of Neverland, but somewhere in my heart, I long for a freer life someday. No one telling me what to do, how to do it, and when. This song to me is about doing something that seems scarier, but you gotta take the road less traveled for you to achieve your dreams. In a way, I imagine that this song is like a little adventure on the long road where I won't know where I am going, but I know it will take me somewhere.

And I love Brandon Flowers. Have you seen all his outfits? He's so fabulous and good looking too. Oh. I realized over the years that his look is the type of look yang I am attracted to.

6. 'Bella Luna' - Jason Mraz


Because this is our song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment