Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Short Trip to KCH - Day Two

Hello! It has been more than a week since my trip to Kuching. But I'll get to it soon. Been busy during the weekend with my mom's birthday doa selamat / break fasting / terawih event.

On the second day, we planned for a trip to the Cultural Village in Damai Puri? I'm not too sure what's the name of the area but I know it's near Gunung Santubong. But before we started the trip, we wanted to eat laksa sarawak and mee kolok. I tell you, I have a super huge massive appetite. The amount of food I can take, scary ok! I've never tried mee kolok before, and I tried laksa sarawak once when Tina cooked it. So, I had a pretty huge expectation on the food I'm gonna have that day.

We went Pasar Satok area to get our breakfast. But we were too late to get the laksa sarawak. Finished before we get to taste it :( So I tried Mee Kolok. Gahhh, so so good! I'm a big fan of soupy dishes so this is perfect for me. It tasted very meat-ish, so they give you a really hot sambal sauce to go with the mee kolok. The mee seems like a maggi mee. But taste better. 


Mee Kolok

The owner are these two siblings and they are the only two people managing the shop as they don't want the family's secret recipe to fall to strangers. But I think they should get more people to help around because the service was pretty slow. Or maybe it's the KL girl in me. I don't like slow services but in Kuching everyone seems okay with it. I don't know. Thank god the good mee kolok made up for the slow service :)



After having breakfast with Tina's parents, we're all set to go to the Cultural Village. It's about 45 minutes from Kuching City. We had an awesome time road tripping the whole way. And the journey there was lovely. It was raining, the breeze was so chilling and we can see Gunung Santubong from far. I was the only one who have been to the Cultural Village so I was telling em all the things we can do there. The Cultural Village is where they have the different races' traditional houses in one area. So they have Malay houses, Chinese, Bidayuh, Iban and lots more.


Gunung Santubong from far. You can see the silhouette of a woman's face. 

The moment we arrived, we were just in time for the Cultural Show. Lucky us! But you have to pay for the tickets first. The ticket is about RM60 for adults and RM30 for kids. For Sarawakians, it is about RM25. Oh and RM15 for Local University Students.




The Cultural Show is where they perform their respective dances. There's one with bamboo and hair feathers and sexy man wearing nothing but loin cloth. Hahaha. I was a bit shy when the two guys danced wearing the loin cloth because we can see up close since we're at the first row. Oh! And there was a section when the guys were doing 'sumpit' – blow dart. And they pulled me up to do it with them. Haha! Finally pop the balloon after the third try ;p





After that we went around the area. We saw skulls! I think it was awesome! They put it at the roof trusses and there's a fire burning underneath. The fire plus smoke is to prevent the spirit of the skulls to come down and disturb the house owners. The Ibans were well known back then as head hunters. Hehe.






Afterwards, we just chilled at the beach area at Damai Puri. And we hiked a lil bit to find a jungle pool. Pity we didn't have our bathing suits. The water was so so cold. And refreshing too. Can imagine if we go skinny dip or something at night then there's lizards all around us. Hahah! And from the beach in Damai Puri, we can take a boat for a dolphin tour (I was impressed. Never knew Malaysia has dolphins) and a tour to Bako National Park. We're planning to try that the next time we're in Kuching :)








Well, that concludes the second day of our Sarawak adventure! 
Pictures from Tina and Syu

No comments:

Post a Comment